I know you can do that as a crude FSF file, but you can't BSF without
CMS.  A CP command to FSF would be much faster and cleaner than multiple

IPL's.

CP already provides REWIND, so a command to do FSF and BSF isn't much of
stretch.

Maybe I'll write an IPL'able utility that will issue FSF and BSF commands

to a tape drive.  I'll IPL that whenever I need to re-position my main

tape drive.  <g>

Brian Nielsen

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:30:11 -0700, Schuh, Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
:

>You do not have to use CMS. IPL commands will work just like loading fro
the HMC.

>IPL 181
>Read VOL1 label; Get a message
>IPL 181
>Read HDR1; Get a message
>IPL 181
>Read HDR2 and get a message
>IPL 181
>Cross the tape mark and get a message
>IPL 181
>And you are there
>
>If your tape just has a VOL1 without the HDR records, you shorten the

process by 2 IPL commands.

>Regards,
>Richard Schuh

 On