From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Jim Bohnsack
Sent:   Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:24 PM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: DDR to standard labeled tapes

Ipling a HDR1 gives you an IPL Unit Error.  That's most of what I
see.  There is one other ipl error message that you see once in a while,
but any error comes back right away.  If you really do hit something you
want, there is no error message and then you start giving the program some
attn interrupts from the 3270 keyboard.  In my case, ICKDSF takes a long
time to load.  ADRDSSU, at least enough of it to handle an attn interrupt,
loads very quickly.

The only FSF I know, and I have looked but not very hard for a CP FSF
command, is CMS's TAPE FSF.  Unless you know exactly how many files you
want to pass, I think you're better off just ipling until you stop getting
errors.  Otherwise, it seems to me to be more of a hassle to I CMS in order
to be able to enter TAPE FSF.

Another "gotcha" that I discovered about 20 years ago on a system that had
a 3088 connected to it, is that some other types of equipment, in this
case, 3088's can confuse a SA program into thinking that it is getting 3270
attn interrupts.  I was not, very dependable, able to ipl a SA tape unless
I would first disable the channel adapter on the 3088.  I don't know what
other kind of equipment can generate fake 3270 interrupts.  Maybe nothing,
but it can be frustrating if you are pretty sure that you're ipled a real
program from the tape, but the program thinks that the interrupt it got is
from the address it wants to talk to and it's something out on the machine
room floor.

Jim

At 05:42 PM 6/8/2006, you wrote:
>This is a multipart message in MIME format.
>--=_alternative 007745EA05257187_=
>
>So IPLing the tape 5 times (or 7 times) is a cumbersome way of doing a
>FSF.
>What happens when you IPL a HDR1, you get some kind of error right?  The
>tape
>at that point has positioned itself at the next file and you do the
>process over again.
>We've been trying to decide if we want to use STD Labels on our SYSRES
>back up
>tape.  IPL'ing a tape 2nd level is really not an issue because you have an
>FSF command
>available. But when IPL'ing from the HMC  a.k.a. bare metal then you don't
>have an FSF command.
>To deal with that situation, you just IPL the tape  x-number of times
>until you get to the file you need, right?
>
>Steve G.

Jim Bohnsack
Cornell Univ.
(607) 255-1760