I don't really agree with this "we've always tolerated pulling the rug ou
from under us so we shouldn't change it now". The fact is, I've spent lot
of time in my professional life fixing things that happened because of a

shutdown. And we've written code to deal with this, or fix it afterwards.

It seems to me that the SHUTDOWN signal is an opportunity to relace all

these ad-hoc solutions with a more general one. You say it wasn't designe
for that, but in that case we need something else that IS. Do I have to

write that requirement? What's wrong with extending the SHUTDOWN concept

to further levels, now that we have a command to do it? I like the idea o
adding CMS (and GCS) nucleus services to implement SHUTTRAP.

I'm not sure whether the TCP/IP stack maintains state or not, but some of

the guests it supports do -- web servers, for example. I could write a

requirement to the vendor of the web servers to support shutdown, of
course. Again, this is more ad-hoc, one at a time activity. But I think

there will always have to be a per-application part of the code.

Just providing SHUTDOWN support for the TCP/IP stack isn't enough, either
,
it would have to pass this along to its guests. (What does TCP/IP do when

it gets a CP EXT?) Maybe it's just simpler to have each guest register fo
the shutdown signal itself?

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:23:21 -0400, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>