From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shimon Lebowitz
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 2:30 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Sharing unassigned tape

Hi,
I am starting to set up z/VM 5.2, and I got
to the step that says to take a backup of
NSS files.

Since our tapes are VTS, and the 5.2 system
does not yet have DFSMS set up, I figured I
could mount a tape on a VTS drive in my 4.4
system, using the NOASSIGN option of
DFSMSRM MOUNT, and then use it in 5.2

After mounting the tape in 4.4, I see this:
TAPE 0A10 ATTACHED TO XMSL     0181 R/W  NOASSIGN

Then I go to the 5.2 system, and simply attach it:
Q A10
TAPE 0A10 FREE
ATT A10 * 181 NOASSIGN
TAPE 0A10 ATTACHED TO MAINT 0181
Q A10
TAPE 0A10 ATTACHED TO MAINT    0181 R/W  NOASSIGN

The problem is... it won't work. :-(
rew 181
HCPDPB899I REWIND NOT PERFORMED
READY(00899); T=0.01/0.01 16:25:20
tape dvol1
DMSP2C110S ERROR READING TAP1(181)
READY(00100); T=0.01/0.01 16:25:28

If the drive is not assigned elsewhere, and there
is a tape mounted on it, why can't 5.2 use it?

And yes, it does still work in 4.4:
 REW 181
REWIND COMPLETE
READY; T=0.01/0.01 20:27:00
 TAPE DVOL1
VOL1V50250

READY; T=0.01/0.01 20:27:04
(I have not yet set timezones in 5.2, so the
hour is wrong there).

Thanks,
Shimon
**
Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
VM System Programmer           .
Israel Police National HQ.     http://www.poboxes.com/shimonpgp
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 530-9877  fax: 530-9308
**