From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shimon Lebowitz
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:39 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Sharing unassigned tape

On 17 Oct 2006 at 14:52, Romanowski, John (OFT) wrote:

> Shimon,
> Is the 5.2 system a guest of 4.4 (not sure from your post)?
> If so, I would DFSMSRM MOUNT the tape to the guest userid and on 5.2
> system just ATTACH the tape drive to MAINT at 181 and use the virtual
> cartridge.  Skip the NOASSIGN stuff.

I guess I really was not clear, my apologies.

The 4.4 and 5.2 are 2 different LPARs. 5.2 can only run in 64bit mode,
and our 4.4 is 31bit, so 2nd level is out.

On 17 Oct 2006 at 13:41, Mike Walter wrote:

> I'm guessing that the z/VM 520 "ATTACH" command is causing an unload.

No, I checked that by doing a REW and DVOL1 from 4.4
*after* the error on 5.2 .  The tape was still mounted and readable in
4.4

> Perhaps try attaching the drive on both systems with NOASSIGN, then
> mount it on 4.4 and try using it on 5.2.

I don't believe it is possible for the DFSMS to mount a tape on a VTS
drive without taking it. After the tape is mounted the drive gets
attached to the requesting user.

That was why I ran the mount in 4.4 first, and then just tried to use
the drive as-is on 5.2

Thanks for all ideas! Keep them coming :-) Shimon