Well, we're sort of doing the same thing with a Sun/STK VTS.

VM:Tape requests the mount, and gets the drive attached to itself.
VM sends a '.MOUNT' command to z/OS to get the tape mounted by z/OS.
When the tape is mounted on the z/OS system (same drive address, not only a different LPAR, but a different CEC), the interrupt cause VM:Tape to see the tape and we're off to the races.

One day when we get it all working very cleanly, we'll document how we did this using VM:Tape. VM:Operator, and RSCS on VM, and IBM's automation product and Sun/STK's HSC (?) product on z/OS.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates

"Shimon Lebowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

10/17/2006 05:39 PM

Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: Sharing unassigned tape

On 17 Oct 2006 at 14:52, Romanowski, John (OFT) wrote:

> Shimon,
> Is the 5.2 system a guest of 4.4 (not sure from your post)?
> If so, I would DFSMSRM MOUNT the tape to the guest userid and
> on 5.2 system just ATTACH the tape drive to MAINT at 181 and use
> the
> virtual cartridge.  Skip the NOASSIGN stuff.

I guess I really was not clear, my apologies.

The 4.4 and 5.2 are 2 different LPARs. 5.2 can only run
in 64bit mode, and our 4.4 is 31bit, so 2nd level is out.

On 17 Oct 2006 at 13:41, Mike Walter wrote:

> I'm guessing that the z/VM 520 "ATTACH" command is causing an
> unload.

No, I checked that by doing a REW and DVOL1 from 4.4
*after* the error on 5.2 .  The tape was still mounted and
readable in 4.4

> Perhaps try attaching the drive on both systems with NOASSIGN, then
> mount
> it on 4.4 and try using it on 5.2.

I don't believe it is possible for the DFSMS to mount
a tape on a VTS drive without taking it. After the tape
is mounted the drive gets attached to the requesting user.

That was why I ran the mount in 4.4 first, and then
just tried to use the drive as-is on 5.2

Thanks for all ideas! Keep them coming :-)
Shimon

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.