From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Leland Lucius
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 10:26 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Is 275GB of VDISK stupid?

On 12/3/07 2:55 AM, "Rob van der Heij" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Because of the Linux algorithm for using swap, a VDISK used for swap
> even a little will eventually be used completely.

I realize that VDISK is special in the world of Linux, but why doesn't
someone give us the option of preventing this?  Looks to me like adding
one
line in swapfile.c would allow pages to cluster at the beginning of a
disk
instead of running to the end and starting over at the beginning.

        si->flags += SWP_SCANNING;
--->    goto lowest;
        if (unlikely(!si->cluster_nr)) {

So, just make this a configurable option via procfs and let us decide.
:-)

Leland