On Dec 3, 2007 4:25 PM, Leland Lucius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I realize that VDISK is special in the world of Linux, but why doesn't
> someone give us the option of preventing this?  Looks to me like adding one
> line in swapfile.c would allow pages to cluster at the beginning of a disk
> instead of running to the end and starting over at the beginning.

It's may not be a good idea to do sequential scanning of swap slots,
but a push down stack of free slots might be cute.
An even better alternative that we discussed on linux-390 is to have a
facility to make Linux tell VM to drop the page from disk (makes also
sense for COW devices). But this is chicken & egg: there's nothing now
and if you make it, there's nothing that uses it...
Some restrictions that Linux puts on I/O requests are self-imposed and
not all necessary on ECKD, and certainly not on VDISK. But again,
changes to the main kernel sources just for one architecture will not
come easily.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij