On Tuesday, 03/17/2009 at 09:45 EDT, Mike Hammock
<mike.hamm...@mainline.com> wrote:
> I also vote for keeping the Quick Guides...   I think they are the best
> thing since sliced bread!
> The only suggestion I would make would be to 'simplify'; them by
completely
> separating the 1st level and 2nd level install instructions,.
> I find that "skipping around" the "other" parts causes more problems
than
> anything else.

I appreciate the sentiments.  We are not particularly happy about getting
rid of them, but their time had come.  In order to keep it to "one page",
the page was going to have to grow to a non-standard piece of paper
because the font was too small, both from an IBM printing standards
perspective and based on complaints from sysprogs.  Non-standard = more
costly to produce.

We will instead supply some sort of abbreviated installation/service
procedure as part of the book.  It won't skip steps, but neither will it
have the voluminous explanations of the primary text.