On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> The Information Center is very nice in that regard.  You can download and
> run it on your workstation if you like, or you can use the Internet
> version.  Learning curve is nil.

Don't make me laugh. I thought you had 2 more weeks before your new
job...   Yeah, I frequently have cases like "I really need to find
what the default msglimit is for the IUCV statement in the directory,
but the learning curve for using my PDF Reader is so steep... "

I have a copy of most z/VM PDFs on my laptop and hacked a copy of the
HTML index from the VM web site to navigate that. Way cool. Google
Desktop Search even searches them when I need.

I rarely agree with David, but with respect to the Information Center
it's hard to avoid. You may throw that stuff as far as you can (though
not in this direction please)   Only use it for the VM books by
accident when Google leads me there, but I've used it more often for
IBM middleware (online, so the latency may be part of my user
experience). What I really hate is getting returned a list of a few
hits with no indication that it's still searching and will add more
later. Similar things happen with text where you see a paragraph and
conclude required detail is not there, and then more lines are still
added.

A lot of the books suffer from too deep nesting of sections. That
makes for an attractive layout in print and PDF, but is tedious with
expand/hide process of Info Centers. When I click in the ToC under
"IUCV Statement" a section called "Operands" then I expect to see the
operands like in the book itself, not an empty paragraph and again new
level of headings.
Go ahead, try search the WAS InfoCenter on "memory tuning" - this
gives you lots of references that all look the same because the
InfoCenter has the books for WAS on 7 different platforms all merged
together. So you get all the duplicated sections as well. Try finding
how to restrict the search to the pieces that are relevant for you.
Sure, it can be done by constructing your own virtual slice of a book
in InfoCenter... But only if you're more patient and desperate than
me. I downloaded the relevant PDF and read applicable sections as if
it were a book (not much of a learning curve there)