On Wednesday, 10/20/2010 at 03:06 EDT, Mike Walter
<mike.wal...@hewitt.com> wrote:
> Just my personal opinion... I've never been too fond of VMFVIEW.  It
hides
> a lot of stuff unless one knows to poke around to look for it.

True, you need to spend a few minutes and learn how to use VMFVIEW.   I
find that it tells me what I need to know, weeding out the chit-chat.

"VMFVIEW calls XEDIT to allow you to view the message logs. Using VMFVIEW,
you
 can:
   o Select which product or component's messages to view.
   o Select which function's messages to view.
   o View all the messages with the same message leaders.
   o View all the messages with the same message number.
   o View the help file for a specific message.
   o Move backward and forward through the displayed message log.
   o View only those PTFs that have been received or committed."

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices