On Wednesday, 10/20/2010 at 02:06 EDT, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:

> The Service Guide talks of a PSU (Product Service Upgrade), not an RSU.
>
> Was this a PSU and not an RSU?
>
> Then why does SHOPZ call it an RSU, even Stacked 5407 RSU?

"PSU" is a *procedure* that you use to apply the Recommended Service
Upgrade (RSU).  See Chapter 2 of the Service Guide.  (IMO, it doesn't
deserve an abbreviation.)

The term "stacked RSU" is historical.  Back in VM/ESA Version 2 the RSU
for each component (CP, CMS, TCP/IP, etc.) was orderable separately in
addition to a "stacked" RSU that contained all of the most recent
component RSUs.  In z/VM V3, individual component RSUs were dropped, but
the "stacked" moniker persisted.

My friends in Development will take it under advisement that perhaps it is
time to retire the term "stacked" as it adds no value.  "RSU" and "stacked
RSU" are the same thing now days.   As a reminder,
http://www.vm.ibm.com/service/rsu/ is your friend.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training