On December 24, 2022 8:22:45 PM UTC, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

>On 12/23/22 10:25 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 1:17 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Shouldn't the problem statement explore whether there is a
>>     plausible tractable solution before it moves on to protocol work?
>>     That is, if there isn't a tractable solution the wg should go into
>>     hibernation again. I'm pretty sure that I brought this quite a
>>     while ago. Of if not the problem statement, afterward just
>>     evaluating for a go-no go decision before starting any work.
>>

>> A working group is implicitly allowed to admit defeat if it decides it can't
>> solve the problem it thought it was supposed to solve.  DBOUND comes to
>> mind; it deadlocked on whether the problem was tractable, or even well
>> enough understood, to advance a consensus protocol solution, and closed
>> without producing anything.
>>
>> I don't think the charter has to say that expressly. It's part of the
>> process.  The charter stipulates an ordering, and I think that's sufficient.
>>
>I think it's worthwhile for the charter to have a step which is to determine
>whether the problem is 1) tractable and 2) requires IETF to do something. If
>either of those are false, the charter should say that it is completed. There
>has been quite a bit of skepticism expressed (and not just by me) about both
>of those points so it would be good to have a checkpoint before doing
>something to do something.

+1.  I think it's a mistake to assume deciding not to make protocol changes by
the group is a failure. A reasoned decision that additional protocol changes
would not be helpful would be a success, if that's where the facts lead us (I
have opinions on this, but have reached no definitive conclusions).

Scott K