On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 1:17 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't the problem statement explore whether there is a plausible
> tractable solution before it moves on to protocol work? That is, if there
> isn't a tractable solution the wg should go into hibernation again. I'm
> pretty sure that I brought this quite a while ago. Of if not the problem
> statement, afterward just evaluating for a go-no go decision before
> starting any work.

A working group is implicitly allowed to admit defeat if it decides it
can't solve the problem it thought it was supposed to solve.  DBOUND comes
to mind; it deadlocked on whether the problem was tractable, or even well
enough understood, to advance a consensus protocol solution, and closed
without producing anything.

I don't think the charter has to say that expressly.  It's part of the
process.  The charter stipulates an ordering, and I think that's sufficient.

-MSK