> I meant that if I use OpenOffice for document processing and then use
> its PDF export option, the format of the images embedded within its
> document is important. Maybe because it has something to do with the
> PS/PDF renderer within OOo. I have also used a combination of MS Word
> and the freely available PDFCreator (based on ghostscript) on the
> Windows platform to generate PDFs. In both the cases it "appeared" to me
> that using uncompressed(or unharmed unlike JPG) image formats work best.

You would not have seen this result if you had compared your JPEG images
with image formats like GIF or PNG, but at adequate resolution (say,
600 dpi). That would have made for _huge_ GIFs perhaps, but you'd have
seen excellent results. Basically, it's not the file format, but the
resolution.

The reason you're seeing this is because JPEG being lossy, can be
uncompressed to any size using a complex mathematical function. The
uncompressed image does not have to be the same size as the original
image which was compressed to create the JPEG. The mathematical
decompression algo is smart enough to do a fairly smooth scaling up,
hence you see acceptable print quality even though you're probably
printing 100 times as many pixels as there were in the original source.
GIFs don't get the benefit of any such smart scaleups, so you see
pixellation.

Shuvam