On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 18:58, Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta wrote:
> On Monday, September 29, 2003 8:13 PM [GMT+0800],
> LinuxLingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > images for prepress have some strict requirements: survival rules are
> > as follows (don't ask me details on why, that is too fundamental to
> > explain over email):
> > 300ppi images.
> > black and white lineart, (two-bit): 1200 to 3600dpi.
>
> Shouldn't this be lpi?

sigh! i was expecting that question.
lpi is quite different from ppi, which is quite different from dpi.

dpi is *not* ppi.
ppi is *not* lpi.
lpi is *not* dpi.

all three are different terms.

the concepts are too fundamental. because of the confusion of these
terms, things get royally screwed in production environment. imho, the
next time you see a scanner specification that states the resolution in
dpi, drop your pants, sit on the scanner, press the scan button, and
save the image at the maximum resolution as "myass.jpg"

:-)

there are various fundamental mathematical equations that equate these
terms, but the topic is too vast and dense to explain here.

:-)

LL