LinuxLingam wrote:

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 09:44, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

One problemt hat I have seen with people who are using Acrobat for creating pre-press PDFs, is that the format of the embedded image in the document matters a lot. From my experiments I have seen that an uncompressed TIFF works best. Any tips that you have regarding this?

while india is sleeping, the world has moved away from tiff to pdf for embedded images as well. i find this quite exciting. but again, you need to understand how to create these special types of pdfs. then, there is also eps, custom-tuned to the job at hand. tiff works okay too, but there's a newer version, called tiff2, as also jpeg2000. most software have begun to support the native fileformat of photoshop, illustrator. svg is gradually becoming popular for vector images in prepress too.

I meant that if I use OpenOffice for document processing and then use its PDF export option, the format of the images embedded within its document is important. Maybe because it has something to do with the PS/PDF renderer within OOo. I have also used a combination of MS Word and the freely available PDFCreator (based on ghostscript) on the Windows platform to generate PDFs. In both the cases it "appeared" to me that using uncompressed(or unharmed unlike JPG) image formats work best.

- Sandip

-- Sandip Bhattacharya http://www.sandipb.net sandip at puroga.com Puroga Technologies Pvt. Ltd. http://www.puroga.com