> I meant that if I use OpenOffice for document processing and then use
> its PDF export option, the format of the images embedded within its
> document is important. Maybe because it has something to do with the
> PS/PDF renderer within OOo. I have also used a combination of MS Word
> and the freely available PDFCreator (based on ghostscript) on the
> Windows platform to generate PDFs. In both the cases it "appeared" to me
> that using uncompressed(or unharmed unlike JPG) image formats work best.

yes the format is important. in your case, using tiff or jpg would both
work. however, the original image resolution, color mode, are far more
important settings, as per the earlier email. 300ppi, rb or cmyk, works
best.

interestingly, jpg's apparant conversion of an image has been studied,
and it has been discovered that the prepress and printing process does
its own variations anyways, so 'moderately' compressing a jpg does not
create any significant problems to an image.

do ensure your image is embedded in the software. many software tend to
link images displaying a low resolution rendering. the original image
must be sent to the press or the pdf