On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 09:39, Shuvam Misra wrote:
> > http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Graphic_Design/Typography/?tc=1
> > and http://www.microsoft.com/typography/users.htm
>
> Will any Microsoft information repository on any generic (i.e. not
> Microsoft proprietary) subject be any use?

unfotunately, the M$ repository is quite good, quite helpful, quite
informative, and gets you up to speed on many issues.

however, their repository is not the be all and end all of fonts. will
pull out my bookmarks and post them here in a day or two.

incidentally, what a coincidence that this discussion blossomed on
linux-delhi. a few hours ago i saw on google that adobe has released a
whole new suite for design. i checked out their site, then went through
other references on licensing etc on their site, and lo and behold, they
have quite a strict policy on the use of fonts. in brief: to use a font,
you need to own its license. that's obvious. but to send it to any
pre-press unit, they must also have its license. you just can't give it
to them to output your work for you. and a long time ago, adobe's
licensing did allow you to do this, as well as (i believe) allow you to
keep installations on upto five computers, and a flexible policy on if
you have it on a network printer's hard disk.

fonts are quite a deadly issue in the computing world. very
controversial. you see, a font design exists for 400 years or even more,
so no one can claim copyright on it. but by creating digitized versions,
copyright laws apply to these digital creations.

adobe, linotype, bitstream, have pretty much cleaned up the font
repository of the western world, for mainstream fonts, in digital
incarnations.

this is quite an issue that will raise its head quite soon over the next
few years.

stay tuned.

:-|
LL