On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 09:44, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> LinuxLingam wrote:
>

> > so in answer to your question, you need to know how to create a pdf for
> > pre-press. assuming your work is in black-andwhite lineart, a text-only,
> > the pdf for print could safely be used for pdf for pre-press, unless you
> > have some halftone images, etc.
>
> But we already have an export for pre-press quality PDF option. That
> must be good enough?

pdf also conforms to the pipo and gigo rules of data (perfect in,
perfect out, and garbage in garbage out).

if your original image is a 72ppi index-color mode gif or something, it
can't be press-ready, even if you create a pdf for prepress.

images for prepress have some strict requirements: survival rules are as
follows (don't ask me details on why, that is too fundamental to explain
over email):
300ppi images.
black and white lineart, (two-bit): 1200 to 3600dpi.
color mode: rgb, cmyk, in the appropriate color depth.
black and white photos (grayscale) the tonal values of the image should
be mapped to the tonal values of the output, all this done in photoshop
or gimp.

then embed these images in your file, and then output to pdf, you are
okay.

issues of transparancy need to be tackled individually, depending on the
complexity of transparancy. ditto for gradients, meshes, and other
sophisticated techniques.

> One problemt hat I have seen with people who are using Acrobat for
> creating pre-press PDFs, is that the format of the embedded image in the
> document matters a lot. From my experiments I have seen that an
> uncompressed TIFF works best. Any tips that you have regarding this?

while india is sleeping, the world has moved away from tiff to pdf for
embedded images as well. i find this quite exciting. but again, you need
to understand how to create these special types of pdfs. then, there is
also eps, custom-tuned to the job at hand. tiff works okay too, but
there's a newer version, called tiff2, as also jpeg2000. most software
have begun to support the native fileformat of photoshop, illustrator.
svg is gradually becoming popular for vector images in prepress too.

:-)
LL