Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta wrote:

<snip>

Please, folks, we jump on people who post technical questions without
googling.  Why not google before one discusses the law?

Because everyone in this discussion, with you as the only notable exception, has taken a moral position on the topic, instead of a legal one.

People, as Sanjeev has consistently pointed out, the law is the law - it is not what you want it to be. It has very narrow and specific definitions of what is/is not allowed.

In a free society, you are allowed to disagree with laws. But the methods of disagreement are equally well defined...breaking laws and then claiming that you never agreed with them in the first place certainly isn't a mechanism. I certainly don't need to point out the anarchy that would arise if a well defined process is not followed for changing existing laws.

If anyone feels strongly about changing copyright and/or IP laws, please file PILs or petitions to your local political representatives or relevant judicial review panels.

Please don't support softwares/people who willfully break laws and look at loopholes like relocating to India as a safe-haven, even if you feel that the original law that forced them to do so is archaic.

Regards,
Varun Varma

P.S.: Sanjee, the unfortunate thing in all of this is that you and I may be seen as the Devil's Advocates for suggesting that laws should be respected.