[4/18/2004 2:49 AM] Anand Babu :

I want to understand more about the legal issues. 1) Hosting at savannah.gnu.org. What issues do we have?

Hosted in the USA? You'd have DMCA / Patriot issues

3) Hosting under FSF India?

Right now, the indian copyright act is being cited.

And I must point out that copyright law is almost the same in all countries (including India and the USA) that are signatories to the Berne Convention.

4) What legal implications I will face, If I contribute to this
   project while I am in the US?

Please ask a competent lawyer. Maybe Eben Moglen, as he is counsel for gnu.org

5) Decoding may be, but Coding is not a crime. It doesn't matter if I
   am in US or India.

You may be right, but in practice, that is a matter for lawyers to interpret and courts to decide.

regards
-srs