> From: Raj Mathur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I think you're missing the important point here -- stealing music is
> illegal, but providing tools that MAY be used to steal music isn't.
Raj.
My question here is : what if the tool is very specifically created to
steal music, and is also promoted as such. I doubt that "MAY" was
applicable here.  Pls educate me -- what other uses was that tool for,
what did he promote it as ... was it accidentally used by *everyone* to
rip iTunes without his *ever* saying it could.
> If we support the banning of tools that may possibly be used for
> illegal purposes we'll have to ban just about everything -- starting
> with computers, Winduhs, Linux, gdb, nmap, C compilers, Perl, netstat,
> ping, mutt, Emacs, EVERYTHING!
I think the intention of these tools was never bad, whereas the software
in question was (or MAY HAVE BEEN) intended to do something arguably
illegal/harmful.

> No.  If you want to protect your music don't protect the people who
> write software -- prosecute those who use the software to perform
> illegal acts.
>
> Remember -- it's not the tool that is illegal, it's the use to which
> it is put by an individual that is or is not.

To take an extreme example, can i create and freely distribute
anthrax with instructions on how to kill people with it, and still be
absolved of all blame when others use it as I suggest. I dont believe
anthrax has any useful (other) use (just an example).

I also think there are many many avenues for creativity/innovation - we
dont have to target one another's softwares and claim that thats the
only avenue.

--
cheers, rk.