On 08-Feb-07, at 4:28 PM, Anupam Jain wrote:

>> where did you discover this gem? or is it your own invention? Have
>> you read any of his writings?
>
> Kenneth which statement is it that you object to? All I'm saying is
> that Linus was in a more practical than philosophical mood when he
> started working on Linux, do you really doubt that? Do we have to
> argue on everything. Oh well..

there is a misconception spread that stallman is the fount of all
philosophy and does nothing but talk and guys like linus and guido et
al are mere code monkeys without a world view. This is not true.
Firstly stallman is a brilliant programmer and secondly the others
all have a world view and are capable of philosophising in their own
right. In fact in the very process of producing and sharing software,
all foss/oss people get a world view and a big picture. And anyone
without a clear picture of the thrill of sharing is a big zero in the
foss/oss world. Which comes back to my main point:

FOSS/OSS conferencces are in the last analysis about sharing - code,
ideas, dreams, whatever. And no one who doesnt want to share should
be allowed in. Thats it. All the other big talk of openness, level
playing field, chance to challenge blah blah blah means nothing -
dont want to share? keep out.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves