On 2/8/07, Kenneth Gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 08-Feb-07, at 4:28 PM, Anupam Jain wrote:
>
> >> where did you discover this gem? or is it your own invention? Have
> >> you read any of his writings?
> >
> > Kenneth which statement is it that you object to? All I'm saying is
> > that Linus was in a more practical than philosophical mood when he
> > started working on Linux, do you really doubt that? Do we have to
> > argue on everything. Oh well..
>
> there is a misconception spread that stallman is the fount of all
> philosophy and does nothing but talk and guys like linus and guido et
> al are mere code monkeys without a world view. This is not true.

It may be a very popular misconception, but it is not one *I* harbour.

> Firstly stallman is a brilliant programmer and secondly the others
> all have a world view and are capable of philosophising in their own
> right. In fact in the very process of producing and sharing software,
> all foss/oss people get a world view and a big picture. And anyone
> without a clear picture of the thrill of sharing is a big zero in the
> foss/oss world. Which comes back to my main point:
>
> FOSS/OSS conferencces are in the last analysis about sharing - code,
> ideas, dreams, whatever. And no one who doesnt want to share should
> be allowed in. Thats it. All the other big talk of openness, level
> playing field, chance to challenge blah blah blah means nothing -
> dont want to share? keep out.

And I think FOSS is all about the community. And the community
welcomes participation. I somehow feel something's amiss when we start
banning people and organisations from any of Linux/FOSS events,
because their contributions to the community are debatable. Besides
it's fun to watch a hardcore windows fan see a Linux demo and exclaim
that he didn't think such things were even possible! The pro windows
crowd visiting Linux events offers perspective and opinions and comes
fully vulnerable to a "Shining Linux" onslaught! Isn't that good
enough?

Regards,
Anupam Jain