Raj Mathur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I don't know if the above is true - I don't know kernel internals.
> > But unverifiable code with kernel privileges is not a reassuring
> > thought.
>
> That's the whole point, isn't it?  The blob is not running as part of
> your kernel.  It has been offloaded to the card in question, and it is
> the card's CPU that is running that code.  Your kernel does nothing
> with the code except to push it onto the card once at initialisation
> time.  Specifically, the kernel never executes it; heck, most of that
> code probably won't even run on x86!

Thanks for the clarification. I see that I am almost certainly wrong
then in being that worried about the security and stability aspect for
off-cpu blobs (I wonder if there are any off-cpu x86 cards around - anyone
care to run a disassembler on the payloads and see what comes up?
(hmmm... vaguely wondering about the legality of that in some jurisdictions))

Also, is there pretty much a standard hook that is used by all such off-cpu
blobs to deliver the payload that is easy to follow for a reviewer? To avoid
a trojan sneaking in the kernel "source" via an obfuscated delivery method?

PJ