> Referring to the Intel Core Duo as an "x86" chip is like calling the G5 the
> "68070."

This point might of been made already but the 68000, 68020, 68030 and
68040 are all part of the 68k family. They all have basically the same
instruction set, i.e. if you have ever done any assembly language or
machine code, which involves programming directly with the processor,
your program would run on all of these. The PowerPC is a completely
different processor family. They have a different instruction set,
remember RISC, reduced instruction set code. My 68k Machine Code
program would not run on a PowerPC, that's why Apple, Motorola and IBM
created the AIM Alliance and produced software emulation for the 68k
processors on the PowerPC,this is why 68k programs ran slower on 1G
PowerMacs when compared to older 68k. The bottom line is that PowerPC
is very different to 68k in almost every way. Intels and various other
processors used in IBM-Compatibles are part of the x86 family because
they have the same basic instruction set. A Machine Code program for
an 8086 should theoretically work on a Pentium 4 without any software
emulation.

> PowerPC - Apple

The PowerPC development was really a joint effort by the AIM alliance
(Apple, IBM and Motorola), while the today's PowerPCs are made by IBM.
It is not completely to call a PowerPC to be an Apple processor.

If you don't believe me look at this from Wikipedia:

> The Pentium 4 is a seventh-generation x86 architecture microprocessor
> produced by Intel

I don't believe the terminology of x86 is extinct what else would you call it.