From: Ben Pazolli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This point might of been made already but the 68000, 68020, 68030 and
68040 are all part of the 68k family. They all have basically the same
instruction set. The PowerPC is a completely
different processor family. They have a different instruction set,
remember RISC, reduced instruction set code.

You are making my point for me. Using the "x86" logic, the G5 would HAVE to be called part of the 680x0 family -- because it has the ability to run code compiled for that chip, ergo it must have some of those instructions within it!

Intel's chips stopped being CISC a loooong time ago. They are now RISC with CISC extension/emulation on-chip. Ironic, given the "RISC v. CISC wars" of a decade-plus ago. Back then, Mac was "RISC" and Intel was "CISC" and millions of dollars were spent on ads trying to convince buyers that RISC was superior. In the end, RISC won with everyone except the public.

A Machine Code program for
an 8086 should theoretically work on a Pentium 4 without any software
emulation.

And in theory, USB2 is faster than Firewire400. Except it isn't.

As for running 8086 code on a P4 et al without emulation -- that's been tried. Doesn't work.

If you don't believe me look at this from Wikipedia:

The Pentium 4 is a seventh-generation x86 architecture microprocessor pro=
duced by Intel

Again, you're making my point for me. Intel didn't (and would never) write such a thing. That statement is not a fact, it is the opinion of the author (who is relying on folk wisdom).

I don't believe the terminology of x86 is extinct

I never used the term "extinct," since that's obviously not true (people use it all the time). Obsolete and archaic, yes. Extinct, clearly not.

what else would you call =
it.

I would call it what Intel calls it, since it's their property.

Cheers
Chas