> As for running 8086 code on a P4 et al without emulation -- that's been
tried. Doesn't work.

I'd be interested in your source of information but I found this on
Wikipedia and I believe it is right.

"Nearly full binary backward compatibility is actually present between the
Intel 8086 chip through to a modern Pentium or Athlon based processor.
(There are certain unusual exceptions, such as the counted shift
instructions, corrections to the original PUSHA instruction, some orphaned
Intel 80286 semantics, the dropped LOADALL instruction, and the Pentium 4
giving up on precise FPU operation counts.) Each successive instruction
extension has been either simply directly added, or accompanied by adding
execution modes to the processor."

This is without any emulation and without emulation on a PowerPC, you would
never get a 68k program running on a PowerPC. Wikipedia again states this.

"Apple, who also lacked a PowerPC based OS, took a different route. They
rewrote the essential pieces of their Mac OS operating system for the
PowerPC architecture, and further wrote a 680x0 emulator which could run the
remaining parts of the un-rewritten OS and 68K based applications."

Face it, people who say x86 is old language may be correct in popular use.
But what it meant when it was first used, defines Pentium 4s and Core Duos
as x86 compatible processors.

Ok, maybe looking back I was a bit wrong about running code on processors,
the major reason being that Pentiums are 32bit. But what I really meant was
the instruction set is the same just with extensions.

Why Intel doesn't call their processors x86 compatible, probably it doesn't
market well. Maybe it confuses consumers, or it makes the processor sound
old. I don't think we will see a new standard from Intel because it would
mean that the years and years of software development would be obsolete.
Apple could pull it off because they control the Hardware and Software sides
of things. To do it in the Windows world, would require a monumental
alliance of forces such as Intel, AMD, Microsoft, Toshiba, HP, Dell, Adobe
and others. So at the moment and in the foreseeable future all consumer
processors created by Intel, AMD and VIA are x86 compatible.