I have a 333 iMac which I think is physically identical, and I'm also having trouble with the CD-ROM (well, it's basically dead). I had the same problems as you describe. I was unable to boot from an external USB CD-ROM or anything else (the hard drive also crapped out as well!)
The 233 Bondi had a slightly different design than the 300-450 iMacs and iMac DV's which are all the same basic design. However, removing the hard drive should be virtually the same process for all of them and it is fairly easy to do.

--

| Richard Dennis Colbert Jr.         |