On Tuesday, January 31, 2006, at 03:13  AM, Chris Riedl wrote:

I tried replacing the drive with one that has OS 9 and the flash utilities on it, but the machine powers on to the screen with the Mac faces (doesn't flash with the ?) and just sits there. Any idea what might be causing that? I used the CUDA, tried zapping PRAM, to no avail.

When I removed the drive from my iMac to my Gigabit G4 tower to install OS9, I chose "custom install" from the installer, and told it to install a 'universal' install which should allow startup on *any* Mac that can run OS9, and it worked fine in the iMac. It likely installs a lot of stuff that isn't needed, eating up some disk space, but moving the drive from the G4 to the iMac worked without a hitch.
---Alex