On Oct 27, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Malcolm O'Brien wrote:

trying not to repeat the switch from OS 9 to OS X

But see, that switch was mostly painless for users.

Oh, was it?  Because that's not how I remember it.

To be fair, Mac OS X ran just fine on my 320 MB clamshell. Until I started launching apps, that is.

This reaps them mucho good will from many people (such as me).

Unless it didn't actually happen the way you imagine.

In fact, there were 3 enormous changes over the years:

1. 68xxx to PowerPC

Granted. This transition was superbly done, though I have a couple complaints.

A few 68K apps knew how to program the MMU to provide memory protection. Mac OS on PowerPC didn't provide protected memory, but it did lock down the CPU so apps couldn't provide it either.

Also, Apple should have taken this opportunity to begin storing global time rather than local time in the system clock. This is actually a very serious data integrity issue.

2. OS<Arabic numeral> to OS<Roman numeral>

Sorry, but this was a nightmare.  Glad it worked well for you, though.

3. PowerPC to Intel

A smooth transition for most users who weren't using Classic.

ALL of these were achieved with hardly a bump to non-tech users. Amazing!

How many users did you survey besides yourself?

Compare and contrast this with non-tech Windows users who start out screwed and get screwed over again every time ANYTHING happens.

The real world does not consist solely of black and white.

For this I had boundless respect for Apple. And just before Enormous Change 3, I bought my iMac. EC3 did not really bump me. And I was thrown under the bus with such alacrity and finality that it made my head spin. :P

At least you hadn't just sold your Intel compiler to Nokia weeks earlier. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeWarrior

But they still haven't squandered all my good will.

Just some of it.  ;-)

Josh