On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Mystic Prowler wrote:

> The iMac G5 is perfectly useful... but no new version of Mac OS X supports it
> anymore. It is a powerful, 64-bit computer that will last until 128-bit
> computers start peeking through the markets....

I'm not going to defend the way Apple has gone from extremely long product
support to extremely short over the past few years, but your logic isn't quite
right. The 1984 Macintosh was technically a 32 bit computer, and while I would
love to have one for my collection, it is in no way useful for 90% of the
things you could do with the newest 32 bit computers (except, of course, word
processing, where the lack of internet and multimedia capabilities give it a
huge advantage). The G5 series is still a very useful line of machines, but
they are getting older, and just because they are 64 bit doesn't mean they will
never be obsolete. Secondly, according to what I understand about
8/16/32/64/128 bit computing technologies, there won't be 128 bit home
computers for a very very long time, since they don't offer much improvement
over 64 bit for most purposes. Also, you can clearly see the trend in the
history of home computing: 8 bit was common in the late 1970s before it was
replaced by 16 bit PC compatibles in the early 1980s, then 32 bit became common
in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and it wasn't until the past few years that
64 bit became really common. based on that, 128 bit home computers probably
won't show up for another 20 or 30 years. Of course, lately companies have been
jumping at any chance to purposely obsolete a device or technology, so I could
be wrong.

Steven