Your first paragraph hit the nail on the head.

>>> "Sarah Freking" <sfrek...@slcsd.org> 12/16/2009 8:27 AM >>>
My problem with committees is the frustration of working through the committee
system with all of it's side-tracks and delays and onerous consensus building,
only to have an entity superior to the committee then call the decisions into
question or completely over-rule them. My feeling is you can't have it both
ways. You can have committees do work and accept their decisions and
conclusions. Or, please, please, please skip the committee process entirely and
don't waste those people's time.

On the other hand, I do buy into the philosophy that two heads are better than
one under certain circumstances and that to get people to buy into decisions
you must include them in the decision-making process. You just must carefully
determine what decisions are better made by committees and what decisions are
better made by experts.

Sarah

Sarah M. Freking, District Technology Director
Storm Lake Community School District
Storm Lake, IA 50588
Phone: 712-732-8100 Fax: 712-732-8101

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something
no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly
enough to do. -- Christopher Morley

info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us writes:
Agree... "A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and
then quietly strangled."