On Mar 12, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
>> Having tests in multiple branches is PITA. Hasn't anyone considered that the
>> best way would be to move all tests into their own repository
>> (directory..whatever :) in SVN..? Considering they are supposed to be used
>> for testing against regressions and BC breaks, they should always be
>> runnable using any PHP version?
> BC tests and easiness are two of the reasons why we have a
> donwloadable phpt packages on the windows download pages.
>> Some changes / improvements are of course needed for the run-tests.php but
>> IIRC, someone was rewriting it already?
> Can we use this svn link/external somehow? Having one module for the
> tests but you get them when checking out a php-src branch. Gwynne can
> certainly answer this question :)

Yes, this is quite possible. It's not quite as clean and smooth as CVS' modules
support was, which is a continuing source of annoyance to me about SVN, but
it's not too terribly painful either. Just the usual svn:externals properly on
the php-src branches pointing to whereever the tests end up will do nicely.

For the record, my standing:

PHP 5.4: -1
PHP 6: -1
PHP 7 with new Unicode stuff: +1