Jani Taskinen schrieb:
Having tests in multiple branches is PITA. Hasn't anyone considered that the best way would be to move all tests into their own repository (directory..whatever :) in SVN..? Considering they are supposed to be used for testing against regressions and BC breaks, they should always be runnable using any PHP version?

It is doable, likely desired but it is going to be a bit of work.

What you save is the work of having to update multiple branches manually.

What you risk is that not each and every test is prepared for being run with every version - although, maybe, in theory it should be. This is certainly something that can be solved by adding some more magic to run-tests.php, e.g. "==SKIP-VERSION==" as suggested by Hannes - practicalities.

Also, you may end up shipping the same huge set of tests for every PHP version regardless if all tests you ship are compatible with that version. Again, some magic should solve that - practicalities.

There is one thing I fear, although it is desired to do. Many extensions link external libraries. If you throw all tests in one place and run all tests with all PHP versions, I strongly assume you'll get more reports on test failures. That is because the likeliness of someone out there running new tests designed for the latest version of an external library against an old library will increase.

Yes, you want to know about any such incompatibility. Yes, it helps you making your software better.

But it may mean significantly more work in particular if you follow the common paragidma of "test ample must always be green at any time on every system".

What may cure the extra work problem is to be more strict on compatible versions. I am aware how much people love BC. But there's a point where keeping BC should be left as an exercise to those asking for BC.

All in all, I like the idea but I fear extra work.

Ulf