I don't think unanimous support is needed just the support within the domain of
use and that could be a private or public network with collaboration with the
firewall rules at the edge or the node directly in the case of p2p.  On the
issue of e2e encrypt/decrypt except the header there are those for many reasons
will not want to permit this for the reasons you state is my experience. But do
we take social and law enforcement issues into consideration as IETF
individuals? We had this debate some time ago and I believe the answer with
consensus today might be different. Once while presenting at some form of NGN
conference in London on e2e a person who identified them as Law Enforcement
asked me if this e2e security existed would that permit bad persons to also be
able to do this too (this was after 911) and had to say yes with the caveat I
am identifying the technology capability not the social consequences, which is
a discussion typically left to the market and those who enforce laws.  But yes
the same technology we define for good reasons always can be used for bad
reasons.  But I don't think not doing e2e is going to stop bad intentioned
criminals.

/jim