[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Julien and Alain,
>
> My high-level question to you both is, for sensors and set-top
> boxes - do you feel that you do not need security for any
> reason?  Is this a long-term issue or a short-term issue.

Let me answer on everyone's behalf:

IPsec is an end-to-end security protocol.

For many environments, such as set-top boxes and the like, the box has
its own ability
to secure itself (or make itself unusable), and the L0/L1/L2 portion of
the network
is under the provider's physical control.

So, for a substantial portion of deployed equipment (cable/dsl boxes,
embedded systems),
with no user-serviceable parts, *how* security is handled, is orthogonal
to the issue
of whether it needs security.

Suggesting that in-band, network-wide, heavy-weight security (IPsec) is
the *only*
solution to the requirement, doesn't fly.

Any of a bunch of other kinds of security can do the job, from TLS to
SSH to use of
out-of-band channels.

And *this* is why I think that IPsec ought to be downgraded to SHOULD
for IPv6 node
requirements.

Brian Dickson