Right. We've already seen AES + CCM implemented in hardware with
802.15.4 radios. While some of those implementations are currently 15.4
specific, the fact that it is not more general could be considered an
'implementation flaw'.

The biggest concern to those of us trying to deal with IEEE 802.15.4 is
really the header overhead.  For this reason, the security protocol for
IEEE 802.15.4 allows for variable size IV and ICV, giving the ability to
make the tradeoffs we need. The basic functions of RFC4309 seem
particularly applicable for IPsec over 802.15.4 links, but the header
size is of concern. The IV carried in each packet is required to be 8
bytes and the ICV is required to be between 8 and 16 bytes. 802.15.4, on
the other hand, allows smaller fields for both the IV and ICV and gives
the flexibility to make tradeoffs. When you're working with nodes that
send very small messages and maximum frame sizes of 128 bytes (including
link headers), every byte counts.

I'm also concerned on the requirement for automated key distribution. Is
it possible to claim that you support IPsec without supporting automated
key management like IKEv2 or something similar?

I'm interested in working through this more in detail to do the study of
whether IPsec is a viable option and would like to solicit help from
those that have more expertise in this space. If anyone is interested,
let me know.

--
Jonathan Hui