Hi Pascal,

> All I can say is that at least one Wireless Sensor Network
> standard under development will not use IPSec. ISA100.11a
> (http://www.isa.org/MSTemplate.cfm?MicrositeID=1134&CommitteeI
> D=6891) has decided to endorse - and extend when necessary -
> the work done at 802.15.4 and 6LoWPAN, which means that we
> will have IPv6-based sensors in the industrial WSN space. I
> say it's great news and we-IETF should continue in our effort
> to support the ISA there.

Agree this is a very good endorsement from ISA.

> ISA100.11a is defining a simple transport level security
> above UDP that is based on the AES encryption engine in the
> CCM mode (in reality CCM* as defined by 802.15.4, annex B,
> which refers to CCM as defined by ANSI X9.63-2001 as well as
> NIST Pub 800-38C and RFC 3610, that's a quote for the purists).

Uggh.  As purist I do not trust UDP in the first place :--).  If one can build
a stack supporting UPD and all that is required for AES then hearing that IPsec
is to heavy for a sensor makes zero sense to me.

> The ISA100.11a Transport level security replicates end to end
> what is done at the Data Link Layer in order to benefit from
> the chipset built-in features.

Can you say more because moving link layer control up to a transport in my view
not only breaks the Internet Protocol Reference Model but the IEEE layer 1 and
2 models?  Also IEEE does a fairly good job for most media to secure the link
at that end?

> No IKE, No IPSec at least for
> the current spec. A side effect of that design is that we'll
> be able to elide the UDP checksum in the 6LoWPAN compression
> by including the IPv6 pseudo header and the UDP ports in the
> Message Integrity Check computation, pushing the whole
> computation up a sublayer.

Ouch I don't even believe you should see any ports until after a decrypt from
my security purist view.

> I've come to expect that the encryption will be done end to
> end at the transport level whereas the integrity and
> authentication will be played hop by hop over the DLL mesh,
> but that's a deployment decision.

Well for mission critical nets this is clearly not supportive of defense in
depth at all.  But I can see it as we are talking for some deployments that do
not need defense in depth.

Thanks
/jim