> as you say, the loopback discussion is a 'red herring.'
>
> the subject is really simple.  on p2p inter-router links many of us use
> /31s and /127s.  they work well and meet our operational needs.  there
> are some documents which muddy the use of /127s.  we want it made very
> clear that /127s on inter-router p2p links are supported.

Also, the distinction between "on-link model" and "off-link model" is
unlikely to be understood by practitioners, IMHO. As seen from the
viewpoint of a router jockey - if I have a /127 and the two routers
on this link are using the only two available addresses in the /127,
it is obvious to me that the router at the other end of the link is
indeed on a directly connected link.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no