-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:nar...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:03 PM
To: Alain Durand
Cc: Hemant Singh (shemant); dtha...@wollive.windowsmedia.com.akadns.net;
ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: 6man discussion on /127 document @ IETF78

>I'm sort of baffled about where this thread has gone...

>RAs are great for configuring hosts. repeat after me: hosts. They are
>clearly of substantial utility in leaf and edge networks where hosts
>connect.

>This ID is targeted at inter-router links, i.e., core networks. There
>will be few if any "hosts" attached to them. Indeed, we are talking
>about exactly two nodes on the link, the two routers connected by the
>point-to-point link.  They won't need to run RAs, etc. They won't need
>stateless autoconfig.

Agreed.

>I also don't like the "ND off-link model" term. I don't know what that
>model refers to or what it means. It's also of no utility in a core
>network, where the routers are presumably running routing protocols
>and not using RAs to find default routers...

I am configuring two such p-p routers in the Internet core for one
interface on each router.  When an IPv6 address is configured/acquired
by the interface, the interface acts as a host.  Once each of the
addresses have been manually configured on the interface, the interface
can also be configured for IPv6 ND to send an RA with no PIO.  From a
received RA, each interface learns the default router.  Then I configure
routing on each of the interfaces.  All these operations ran orthogonal.
RA with no PIO also signals to the receiving interface to send packets
to the default router.

The only reason each router interface on this p-p network is signaled to
send data to default router (ND off-link model) is because then the
router interface does not initiate anycast data forwarding because a
/127 was configured on each interface.

Hemant