Mark,

On 2011-05-24 09:56, Mark Smith wrote:
> I'm not particularly pro-SLAAC, however I sit back and wonder what is
> missing from it that makes DHCP essential?

To be blunt, that conversation isn't worth having. SLAAC is clearly
essential for isolated or bootstrapping networks to self-configure.
DHCP is clearly viewed as essential by many network managers. EOM.

>> (Hmm, maybe I should just write such a spec now, given the M&O bit
>> definitions are in the twilight zone anyway... Discussion of what to
>> do with them was effectively removed from the last revisions of the
>> SLAAC documents, so now there is no clear guidance on how to process
>> them. The IETF at its finest...)
>>

> I'm a bit confused, I find this text in RFC4862 quite clear as to what
> to do -

It doesn't specify startup defaults and the like. RFC 5887, Section 5.1.1,
bottom of page 12, discusses this.

If you're concerned about SLAAC/DHCPv6 conflict resolution, see
draft-liu-ipv6-renum-conflicts (and join the re...@ietf.org list).

   Brian