Mark Smith wrote:

> "  3.2 If there are several ways of doing the same thing, choose one.
>    If a previous design, in the Internet context or elsewhere, has
>    successfully solved the same problem, choose the same solution
> unless
>    there is a good technical reason not to.  Duplication of the same
>    protocol functionality should be avoided as far as possible, without
>    of course using this argument to reject improvements."
>

> It's shame IPv6 fails on that count. I'm genuinely asking what the
> improvements are to justify why two mechanisms that are almost
> functionally equivalent.

Mark, as I suggested previously, DHCP is useful in cases where you need the IP
addresses of hosts in a network to be predictable. I have no idea why cable
systems want DHCP, but I'm saying that IN GENERAL, if hosts needs to know a
priori what the address of other hosts is, SLAAC falls flat on its face.

For example, a peer-to-peer network, where you don't want to rely on a DNS.

Bert