> ok, so ... as a thought experiment, in v4 you wake up, decide you have
> no address and are supposed to dhcp for that..
> in v6, you wake up decide you have no address (and don't know if v4/v6
> are available)... if you are configured for v6 dhcp, you make that
> request and get all the 'right' data.

> Essentially, spec dhcpv6 host actions to be the same as v4?

yes.

Have DHCPv6 and SLAAC run independently. If you get stuff via one or
the other or both, just use them.

The mistake of the M&O bits was that you needed an RA to tell you to
use DHCP. But if the bits weren't set right, or something, you
wouldn't run DHCP in cases where you should have. Just decouple the
two protocols completely.

The one downside is that you run DHCP even if there are no DHCP
servers. In some environments, that is extra traffic the operator
might not want. I recall many long threads about how the cost of those
extra DHCP pacekts on a wireless network were unacceptable...

Thomas