On Dec 20, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Randy Bush <ra...@psg.com> wrote:

>>> "The IID consists of N bits that have no meaning; the only constraint
>>
>> Hmm.. how would this work with RFC5453 reserved IID space we already
>> have for anycast addresses?
>
> is anyone aware of any deployment of the ipv6 invented any cast?

I've seen some (very.. some) subnet anycast out there.. I do not know
(myself, which can be rather limited snapshot) a production network using
other RFC5453 reserved anycast IIDs.

> like most ipv6 magic, i think it is ignored and regular old ipv4-style
> anycast is used.

Sure and that is fine.

What I am/was concerned about is that we do not walk over existing
(standards track) RFCs. If these IIDs meanings and 'u' & 'g' bits get
redefined/obsoleted/whatever.. fine but that must then be reflected
in other RFCs that today are based on RFC4291 etc. The whole blob needs
then be updated/obsoleted accordingly and with care. On this aspect I
care about specification correctness - not whether something is actually
deployed (yet).

- Jouni