From: George Michaelson [mailto:g...@algebras.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:56 PM
To: Lorenzo Colitti
Cc: Tim Chown; ipv6@ietf.org; <v6...@ietf.org>;
draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-pre...@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Could IPv6 address be more than
locator?//draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix-03

Which is pretty much what was said to mike, when this came up in the WG 2 IETFs
ago. Overloading parts of the allocation space under your /32 makes a complete
mockery of the process model which justified the /32 based on /56 or /48
consumption plans, and while the H/D ratio is a somewhat rei-fied number, this
kind of scheme will alter consumption of the address space massively.

That some large ISPs and network operators *want* to overload bits in the
address to have meaning? Sure. I can believe that. That vendors, knowing this,
*want* to encode logic into sold routers, devices, to exploit this? Sure. I can
believe that.

is it a good architecture? No. I cannot currently believe that.

-george

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Lorenzo Colitti