> >>However, it is not necessary as worse as 2^N times. For example, it there
> >>are 2 bits to separate different use types (say 4 different types), it
> >>actually only separate use address spaces into four different spaces. It
> >>does not limit the address space to be 1/4 of original space.
>
> How is that different from saying "by adding two bits of semantics in the
> prefix, the network will use 4 times the address space than it would
> otherwise"?
>
> No. This is very different. Putting the example into numbers may be more
> intuitionistic. Say an ISP has 4 million subscribers, it needs 4 million /56
> (assuming every user get a /56). By separating them into 4 different types,
> the address consumption is still 4 million /56 if the separation is exactly
> even. However, the more

Not a great assumption... They should need 4 million or more /48s since every
subscriber is at least one end site and every subscriber end site should
receive a /48.

Assuming that you will get 4 million subscribers that conveniently divide into
buckets of 1 million per bucket is absurd. More likely, you'll get 500,000,
750,000, 2,000,000, and 750,000, or other similarly skewed distribution. It
might even be 3,500,000, 125,000, 125,000, 250,000.
> address may need when the separation is not even. For example, if the biggest
> user type has 2 million users, then the total address space may become 8
> million /56 – two times of original. It comes from align. The increased
> semantics bit are also increasing the address space although not increasing
> linearly. So, at the end, it is not totally waste.

If you get extraordinarily lucky, it's no waste. Otherwise, it's at least 50%
waste and can easily reach 75% waste (4x space utilization, as Lorenzo said).

For example, if you have 4,000,000 end sites and you get as little as 2,097,153
subscribers in one of the buckets, you have to go to 4x your address space to
preserve the semantics.

Owen