>>Yes, there is no intension to change ARIN’s policy at all. ARIN should remain
>>the current policy of assign IPv6 address block. But the network providers,
>>who has already get address block, can choose to use the addresses with
>>certain semantics. And no one, including ARIN can stop this.
>Agreed, but even for network providers that already have blocks, this will be
>an issue if they ever need another block. But I do think you should write this
>in the draft.
Will do. The provider, who choose such schema, should be aware that they cannot
get new address block only because they consume their address space in a low
utility rate.
>>However, it is not necessary as worse as 2^N times. For example, it there are
>>2 bits to separate different use types (say 4 different types), it actually
>>only separate use address spaces into four different spaces. It does not
>>limit the address space to be 1/4 of original space.
How is that different from saying "by adding two bits of semantics in the
prefix, the network will use 4 times the address space than it would otherwise"?
No. This is very different. Putting the example into numbers may be more
intuitionistic. Say an ISP has 4 million subscribers, it needs 4 million /56
(assuming every user get a /56). By separating them into 4 different types, the
address consumption is still 4 million /56 if the separation is exactly even.
However, the more address may need when the separation is not even. For
example, if the biggest user type has 2 million users, then the total address
space may become 8 million /56 – two times of original. It comes from align.
The increased semantics bit are also increasing the address space although not
increasing linearly. So, at the end, it is not totally waste.
Best regards,
Sheng