On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 04:26:03PM +0100, H wrote:
I also realized that I, in addition, have several zipped Thunderbird mail archives that I also ought to "dump" into this to-be consolidated mail archive. It is my understanding that Thunderbird (I have been using version 59) uses the mboxrd format.

you can configure your active account as imap, and the backup as a local box (i'm not a regular TB user, but i imagine it can't be that hard to re-import it). then you just drag over the mails.

you'd still need some method of de-duplication, though.

However, you wrote that the 'D~=' sequence in mutt would de-duplicate based on message-ID which you said "should be good enough". Could you shed some further light on this last statement so I know what the limitations are?

it would fail if you created edited duplicates of some mails without changing the message-id. that would be somewhat unexpected ...